Who Am I??

My photo
"I'm a new soul,I came into this strange world, Hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take... But since I came here,felt the joy and the fear, Finding myself making every possible mistake..."

Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Season of Photography, Photography Challenge- Back To School...

School-going-poor-child-photography
 When I saw that Kimberly Gauthier was hosting a Season of Photography, Photography Challenge- Back To School ...I was quite excited to take part...What I had in mind as my subject could not materialize though(as it has been happening quite a lot of late)...However, I managed to get this...

I would not say that I clicked this picture after I learnt about this challenge...no...I did not..I took this picture quite some time ago...but I'm going ahead with it as my submission cuz I wouldn't have any other pic as my entry....

I took this pic in New Delhi...not the posh Delhi that one knows of...rather a place where the people have to work really hard to make their ends meet...I saw this boy coming from a distance...not a care in the world...there were others with him...going in bunches...laughing and chattering...I remembered my school days...what big a deal it was for us...going to school....to have the prettiest schoolbags with our favorite cartoons and have the coolest pencil-bag...perfumed erasers...and what not....And I looked at this kid...I couldn't even make out if this was his school uniform...I wondered if he would even know that erasers could be perfumed and sharpeners fancy...

He just walked...he knew just one thing...that he's going to his school...to learn..& to play...After all..how many of them get to go to school in such parts of India? And what assurance does this child have that he would not be compelled to drop out because of the economic conditions of his family...

I captured this boy...who was oblivious to what I was doing just like he was to his "friends" walking ahead of him... Taking the first of the steps to his success....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely picture, great story. A simple reminder of our own privilege.

Smriti Shalini said...

Thanks:)